In addition to the identification tips found at the organism level, entering observations constitutes the other primary goal of Spesee: helping you keep track of what organisms that you have found.
I've attempted to make entering observations as simple and straightforward as possible:
- Start typing either the common or latin name and select the appropriate organism from the dropdown (note that if you were on a list and clicked the "add observation" button, this information will already be entered. Also note that if your user profile is set to exclude certain organism types, they won't be available)
- Click on the observation date field and use the calendar and slider that pop-up to enter the exact date and time you made your observation
- Enter the temperature
- For the latitude and longitude, enter either the exact latitude and longitude, or click on the exact location you made your observation on the map on the right.
- Special note for Trees: because trees don't move, if you enter the latitude and longitude for a tree and there is an observation already recorded by another user nearby, you will get the option to review that observation. If you determine it is the same organism, check this "This One!" box. Your observation will still be recorded correctly, but it will also relate your tree to the first observation of that single organism.
- Enter a general description of where you made the observation
- Enter any comments you have about the observation
- Enter the quantity of this organism you saw at the time
- Upload an image of the observation. Please only upload an image of that particular observation, not simply a picture of the organism you saw (that should go in the identification details!)
And don't forget - you can always download all of your observations by going to your observation page and clicking the download link at the bottom of the page! As always, please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments!